I received less property than my spouse in Florida Divorce Case?

A Florida Divorce & Child Custody attorney provides answers to the most common questions when appealing  decisions in a Florida divorce or custody case.

The divorce judge’s order gave me less property than my former spouse.  Is that allowed in Florida?

Yes, but only in extreme circumstances, and there must be written findings explaining why one spouse received more property than the other.  Generally speaking, unless one spouse spent large sums of money on non-marital purposes such as an affair, the assets and liabilities must be divided in a manner that has each spouse leaving the marriage with the same marital net worth. 

Did this answer your question?

Back to Appealing Equitable Distribution Orders