Spouse earns more. Do I have to pay my lawyer?

Was it error for the judge to make me pay my lawyer just because I had enough money in the bank to do so?  My former spouse earns much more money than I do.

Possibly.  In Florida, it is reversible error to require a party to pay their attorney’s fees if the payment would result in an inequitable diminution of assets received in equitable distribution, provided that the other party can pay the fee award form their income.   This is a fact intensive analysis that has to be done on a case by case basis.. 

Did this answer your question?

Back to Appealing an Attorney's Fee Award

Call (561) 810-0170 or click here for more information about scheduling a consultation and strategy session with the Florida Divorce & Appellate lawyers of Bruce Law Firm, P.A..  The firm’s practice is limited to divorce and family law and represents clients in all of Florida’s appellate courts under fixed-fee pricing arrangements with a money back guarantee.  The firm shares fees with referring attorneys pursuant to Florida Bar rules.  All information on this website is subject to this Legal Disclaimer.  Click West Palm Beach Divorce Lawyer for the firm’s other divorce and family law website.